Abnormal?

What defines abnormal? (in this context, a person in public)

Just a TL;DR here: I tio Bishan Gay. Happy? Wtf he follow me on 74 and 157. Like he purposely detour from his usual 156 to gay.

Is it the ability to conform to a socially acceptable "norm", or is it simply not being disruptive or disturbing?

What is the socially acceptable "norm"?

It is a question dependent on the people around. In America and many "friendly" countries, helping someone you met on the street is common practice. It just feels normal. In previously communist/oppressive states, no one looks into each others' eyes, much less help another, for fear of the other person being a suppressor. In Singapore, I feel that the norm is to help when no one notices, but when trouble strikes in an highly accessible location, no one stops.

Enough about helping people. Those were just examples. I am rather more interested in behaviour on public transport. More particularly, Buses or Trains.

Let me start with seats. When it is during the rush hours, the only people who actually get to seat are those who have their starting location at the ends (or beginnings, if you prefer) of the particular routes. Once you stand, you don't sit and once you sit, you don't stand (unless you are giving up your seat). I don't know how most of you choose how and when and where to sit, so I shall not fake public opinion. What I do observe is that people usually sit whenever there is a "free seat" (no one else), less than half will hesitate to sit when there are no free seats but there is nobody standing, and more than half will just stand when there are no free seats and there are already people standing.

For me, personally, I go by the number of seats left. If after I sit down the next person who boards has no free seats to choose from, then I will not sit. Unless of course I am beat.

Then next is talking. Or actually to be more generic, "producing sound". I digress yet again, but in Japan it is rude to have your phone ring while on the train. Back here in Singapore, it seems that it is merely an amusement (okok for me at least) to find out what other's ringtones are. Talking on the phone usually blends in with the engine noise well, the only thing you will know is that a phone convo is going on. Then there are exceptions, but of course being in Singapore exceptions are always exotic and fun (okok for me at least).

Then of course there are those "crazy" guys who talk loudly for no reason. Happens one in every 75 trips (not that I counted). That is my focus. Not the reason that I wrote this though.

Do they really belong in the asylum? I don't think so. Some may be irritating, but as long as they don't really pose a public danger, it is a reality check that we still have such people in society that do not conform. Not exactly that I'm a non-conformist, but I do not believe in doing so just to conform or not to. Safety in numbers does not apply.

Just a note, I usually keep a straight face while on the bus alone (as in, without people to talk to). Only when people are in my circle then I let loose.

Details of the Bishan Gay attack:
Waiting for bus after training (opposite HCI).
Noticed him after I walked past the tree.
Hid behind bus info for a while. He adjusted himself to peek through the gap. 気持ち悪いだ.
I just let myself get full blasted by standing in front of the bus stop advert. I was facing the advert, keeping watch by means of reflection (a skill I had mastered).
Too creepy. Went to back of Advert. Kept watch at sidea but got me twice.
74 came. planned to board it.
When another hci guy boarded, I feared the worst. He followed.
I went upstairs, he didn't
I got of at matrichie (whatever is the damn spelling) stop, he follow.
Went to the other stop for 157. He followed soon after.
157 came under a minute. He followed too.
Got off and ran behind the info panels.

Spooky...

0 comments: