Linux...

I have been called off slacking from posting by Reimu (how honourable). I have been busy with Robocup Junior, and with 3 weeks (close to that) taken up by OBS, Class Chalet and YFC Control Line racing, I doubt I can pull off a win for this week... And "look at me, still talking when there's science to do..."

I got a laptop that cost SGD699 the week of our class chalet, and after modding XP to look like Mac I guessed that I would have a go at Linux. Therefore I reserved 20 out of my 40GB harddisk for Linux. I have been officially using Linux for about a week now, and I shall give a largely non-technical (at least for me) review of Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex).

I first had to download a LiveCD to install it. I actually torrented the ISO and it took about 5 hours. After that I had some issues with a stupid option on XP which "Gets the file ready for Archiving" which totally screws the MD5 hash.

Then after installing I had to install stuff. I did not even need to care about drivers for hardware. My Volume buttons, Bluetooth module, Wireless Adapter and special function buttons were already configured. Firefox, GIMP and Pidgin were already installed, I added on VLC and wine. I also got all the extensions for Firefox (my only qualm is that IETab is not available for Linux, which actually doesn't really matter as I do not really think I need it. Pidgin was configured quickly, and so was all the other apps.

The next best thing were the games, but I soon lost to the comp too many times and got bored. There was Solitare, Blackjack, Chess, Reversi (Igano), 4 in a row, 5 or more, Tetris (Gnometris), Freecell, Minesweeper, Nibbles (a multiplayer snake-like game), Robots (evade and teleport from robots), Sudoku and some games I did not bother to try.

Eyecandy was surprisingly good, considering my 1ow ram of 512MB and 1.4GHz. There is actually a nice Spaces like default program (Workspaces) which gives a nice switcher (you can't really see the effect as there are only 2 workspaces. I didn't resize so you can see everything.)


There is also an Exposé like feature.


And this shall conclude this long post. Nothing much.

EDIT: Oh SHI... Forgot to talk about running WoW on Linux...


Laugh at me. I was playing Techies, I had boots (which appeared as Sacred Relic's sprite), and the Mines got shown as Statis.

0 comments: